Friday, January 7, 2011

Mommy's Little Monsters

Of course, I would need to add something about our beloved dogs. We adopt from rescue organizations and would not consider, at all, of going to a breeder. There are too many animals that need homes.

There is a Great Dane rescue that we visit in San Marcos, and a friend of ours volunteers with the Las Vegas Humane Society and from both of these we find our pets. We have also gone to the local animal shelters in the past, but to be honest with you, I will probably never go back.


There is a local woman who does what she can to rescue Great Danes in Las Vegas, and I went to the Lied Animal Shelter to scout a potential Dane for her (us actually) that she had heard about. What I saw is unlike anything I have ever encountered. I started my journey in the normal areas where the public can go, but I kept persisting that they had a Great Dane there and somewhere along the line they thought I was the woman from the rescue. I really wanted the Dane so I admit, I let them continue to think that. They took me to the unseen places of Lied and they need to stay that way...unseen. I found him, and had to leave him. He was almost dead. I was sorry I went.

On a happier note, a much happier one, here are pictures of our dogs now.  =D

Diesel was so dang cute as a puppy. Puppies in a rescue...who would not want this dog?? She is very fun and playful, and is a lapdog. She is very tall and thin and at just 110 pounds, her back is almost as high as a standard kitchen countertop. Next time you are in your kitchen, take a look. We don't leave much out on the countertops here. Did I mention she sleeps with us?







Taz (aka Tater) we rescued from the LVHS Christmas of 2009...has to be one of the smartest dogs we've ever owned. His owner surrendered him due to allergies. I think he is about 2 or 3 years old. He is completely lovable, wants to be right up next to you, does tricks and mostly wants to please if you catch him in the right mood, but I tell you what...this dog has a stubborn streak. If there is something he doesn't want to do, no lo hace. He just loves it when the two big girls pin him down and wrestle. What a life.


                         

...and our Honey girl. This sweet, beautiful dog was neglected for the first months of her life, just left out in the back yard with no human contact.  We adopted her at 7 months old and she had severe behavioral problems. She would not interact with us or anyone else, and even the smallest things frightened her, like the sound of me getting a piece of aluminum foil.  At the time, we had two other dogs (different than Diesel and Taz) and they helped her adjust. She is 5 years old now and much, much better with us and getting better with other people. As a matter of fact, we had a friend over today and she went right up to him and was waggin' her tail, lookin' to be petted. :)







There is just nothing like coming home and having all of them waiting at the door wagging their tails.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh Brandee - I love the pics of the dogs. They are awesome and it is so nice to see someone else who has a house full of big dogs. Everyone thinks I am crazy!!!! Radar sleeps with us too and if I get the bed to myself then it is Radar, Willow, And Zepplin on the bed!!!! I will never not have a Great Dane or two! ( :

    Timmie

    ReplyDelete