Another semester ended and my students will be starting their final semester this week. They graduate in February!
I have mentioned that I volunteer at Volunteers in Medicine of Southern Nevada. This clinic is completely funded by private donations. We have primary care, intermal medicine, gynecology, cardiology and an orthopedist. We do EKG's, echocardiograms, gyne procedures, on and on. We also have a full pharmacy minus the narcotics. The care and medicines dispensed here are COMPLETELY FREE to the patients.
I volunteered at their 2nd annual fundraising ball last month, and - wow. Cirque performers, a harpist, two of the singers from Phantom, a live auctioneer, almost 600 guests, 100s of raffle and auction items. They raised $350,000 in that one night. And everything was donated for the ball - even the open bar. Right now the clinic is located in some old office space. There are plans for a new clinic that will include mammography and a dental clinic. The land was donated - 1.3 acres. I love volunteering here. With a capital L.
I also love my job. It isn't all sunshine but one of the (many) reasons I love my job at the hospital is because of the people I work with. Over and over again my life has been enriched because of some of these people. Our unit has decided to crochet Christmas hats for all of the babies born in our hospital in December. I love that we come up with stuff like this and then get it done.
In the past, I have always thought knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, sewing (any I've forgotten?) to be the most tedious, mind-numbing, arthritis-and-sore-neck-giving tasks known to mankind. Totally not my thing. I would rather clean all the grout in my house with a toothbrush. As a side note, my whole house is tile.
Well, we've not been too busy at work lately. So, one of the nurses taught me how to crochet! I've made two hats. The first one I finished in 3 hours flat. It fits a 1-year old, not a newborn. Whoopsies. I gave it to my friend's son below. The second one looks much better, more fitting. :)
A new picture of us.
In honor of trying something new, not being stagnant, doing something together, etc etc...Eric and I went to a dance lesson.
A salsa lesson.
If you know us, you know this was totally my idea. And after all that crocheting, I felt like I should be sitting in a rocking chair by a fireplace with a cup of tea and an afghan on my lap. Salsa seemed like the cure.
Well, maybe we didn't look exactly like this. We need a few more lessons. A few hundred more.
Here's to keeping things spicy.

No comments:
Post a Comment